ABOUT HEARING ACCESSIBILITY
Hearing accessibility means creating an environment where all individuals can communicate and actively participate. This is especially important when it comes to public spaces. Below are some suggestions on how to improve accessibility in a variety of environments.
The following are some general tips on improving hearing accessibility in any environment:
- Provide Captioned Video or Audio Content: This will allow individuals to follow along with what is being said, as they will be able to read the transcribed text.
- Offer Assistive Listening Devices: Assistive listening devices, such as an FM system, will allow visitors to connect directly to the source of the audio, whether that is a tour guide or guest speaker, giving them greater control over their audio needs.
- Provide Signs and Printed Information: This will help to make sure that everyone is included.
- Have Visual Fire and Smoke Alarm Systems: This will alert persons with hearing loss to the emergency.
- Provide Good Lighting: Ensure space is well lit to allow members to speech (lip) read.
- trained staff that are aware of and sensitive to the needs of those with hearing loss.
- Reduce Noise: Be aware of background or ambient noise that may affect the acoustics of the space. Providing acoustic treatments if necessary, and decreasing the amount of noise wherever possible is a great way to reduce excess noise.
- Have Trained Staff: Staff that are aware of and sensitive to the needs of those with hearing loss will create a positive environment where individuals will feel like they belong. This will make visitors more inclined to return to your business or other public space.
If you would like to learn more about providing hearing accessibility, visit the following pages, or contact us today.
ACCESSIBILITY IN PUBLIC PLACES
ACCESSIBILITY IN PLACES OF WORSHIP
ACCESSIBILITY FOR EVENTS
If you would like to learn about which venues in your area are hearing accessible, visit the following page, or contact us today.
HEARING ACCESSIBLE VENUES
ACCESSIBILITY PROGRAM FOR PUBLIC ORGANIZATIONS
CHHA-NL provides financial assistance for hearing accessible listening systems for:
- Places of worship
- Public organizations
- Charity groups
- Community organizations
- Other organizations which provide public use or meeting space(s)
More details & information can be found on the Public Accessibility Program Application.