Learn to Speech Read/ Lip Read this Fall with the Canadian Hard of Hearing Association – Newfoundland and Labrador.
Speechreading can improve overall communication and daily life. Often referred to as “reading lips” the process actually involves using many other cues than just the movement of the mouth (such as body language). It takes practice, but it can be very rewarding. Read Kevin’s story to learn more about one person’s experience at class.
“I have praised the class to my friends and family from Day 1 – I even encouraged some of my friends and family to sign-up!” – 2016 class participant
Speech Reading /Lip Reading Level 1 Classes
Classes take place at the Canadian Hard of Hearing Association – Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Office
1081 Topsail Road, Mount Pearl
“The class is very helpful, not only teaching lip reading but a lot of hands-on experience which is key to understanding hearing loss” – 2016 class participant
Speech (Lip) Reading Class Details
- Classes are fun, informal and are taught by a trained Speechreading Instructor.
- Class size is limited to 12-14 people.
- We have a fully hearing accessible building.
- Class participants represent a wide variety of ages.
- Family members are welcome and encouraged to register and attend.
- Class participants have an opportunity to meet others – our class break is always a social activity!
- All class participants must register in advance
- A one-time $10 materials fee helps to cover the cost of handouts and materials you receive as part of this class. The fee can be paid by credit, debit or cash. Registered students will receive more information about payment after they sign up.
“I would say this was a fabulous experience. For the first time in a very long time I felt I could fully participate as part of a group. This class has offered me full inclusiveness which I truly thought was a thing of the past since my hearing began to decline significantly” – 2016 class participant
Please register below for either the evening session (6:30 – 8:30 PM) or the morning session (10:30 AM – 12:30 PM) beginning on October 4, 2017. All further class details (include options for class payment) will be sent by e-mail.
**MORNING SESSION IS CURRENTLY FULL – REGISTRATION IS STILL AVAILABLE FOR THE EVENING SESSION
For More Information
Coordinator of Education & Awareness
(709) 753-3224 ext: 230
or SMS text message: (709) 725-3224
Can’t Take The Class This Time?
We’ll make sure you know the next time a Speech (Lip) Reading Level 1 class is offered. Sign-up below to receive updates on classes.
Share With Others
Download a Copy of The Fall 2017 Poster